Monday, January 15, 2018

It's Chili Season!!

    Have I mentioned how much I love chili cook-offs? Well, I do...a lot!! Last January I entered my first cook-off after only making chili once and I got 6th out of 35 teams. Now, this was just a local fundraiser, but it's a very popular fundraiser. So with that, off I went. I only did 4 cook offs last year with 2 of them being CASI Sanctioned. This is a whole new world for me and I was loving it, until I wasn't winning. I decided to change up the recipes a couple of times. I realized that the local cook-offs didn't care how CASI liked it. They like their chili darker color and bland, with CASI liking it red and spicy/hot. I messed up my chili twice trying to do something different at the cook-off. You never do that!!! I have entered a competitive world and I was loving it, but all I was winning were showmanship trophies.

     I have the cutest showmanship booth ever and people loved it. Not so much my husband because he had to haul it around. He hated it!! He is the type that you do things like this to win...money. I wasn't winning money so why do it. For me, it was a challenge. What can I do better? What can I change? Who could I beat?!?! So this year I decided to really get serious, as if I wasn't already. One night I made 4 different chili recipes. I made my 2 different final table recipes and 2 new ones that I found but tweaked a little. I also tweaked one of my winning recipes as well. I set out cups and scorecards, we looked like an actual cook-off. Then 7 people judged and we came up with the winners. It was a combination of two that made an awesome result and of course I didn't let anybody know what was in those two. So now I finally have a chili recipe and I wrote it down, you have no idea how important this is and how so many don't do it. I am so ready and can't wait for all the cook-offs. I have looked and looked at the calendar almost every day to see what cook-offs I can enter. I want to enter as many as I can each month, especially if they are CASI Sanctioned. The reason for this is because CASI cook offs give points, points lead to the National cook-off in Terlingua. This is my goal!! Yes I know it's a weird goal, but it's all mine. What is one of your goals? Do you have a passion that others just don't understand?

      I'm not sure why I love chili cook-offs so much. It allows me to travel, even if it's not very far. It's like an adventure every single time. I never know how it's going to be. I'm always nervous and worried that something could go wrong, until I start cooking. When I start cooking I forget about everything. All the worry seems to go away, until award time. I am very superstitious and will not let anyone see our entry number. To me, it's like if we don't get called out then I'm the only one disappointed. Maybe I should change that rule. But even when I don't win I still can't wait for the next one. I never thought I would enter this type of event. To be so serious about it and at times a little aggressive. My husband doesn't even understand it. It's a passion all it's own and I love it!!

      I am very serious when it comes to setting up and getting ready for any cookoff. I make a very detailed list of everything needed. First things first you need to have a good cooker. Don't show up at a cook-off with a crock pot, you'll get laughed right out of there. Depending on the cook-off is how much you make. So many you're are just cooking for the judges so 2-3 pounds of meat is ok. But if you are in a fundraiser you are likely to need a lot more because you are sampling your chili out. Don't forget your canopy and make sure you have weights. Last year I was at a cookoff and the wind picked up, and with that, it took a few canopies with it and their chili too. All that work and money gone because they didn't have weights tied to the tent. Another important feature needed is a wind protector for your burner. It's not much fun when the flame keeps going out.

    Cook-offs are a lot of work but also a lot of fun. We have met some amazing people at each one that has given great pointers to help me along. My nerves are already going for next Saturday and I can't wait to let all of you know how it turned out.

 Cyndi


 

No comments:

Post a Comment